Saturday, June 11, 2011

The Rest of the Beginning...



So where was I? Oh yeah in avoidance and procrastination. Deep, deep in avoidance and procrastination. It was 2010 I had stated publicly, mind you, my decision to have gastric bypass. I told my parents, siblings, extended family, friends co-workers. Look the dude that walked by my desk delivering paper for Office Depot (now they might just pay me) once a week? He knew. And I was deep, deep deeeeeep in "not ready" mode. You know how the green light is usually an indicator that the electronic device is ready to -- snap the picture, make the call, brew the coffee, filter the water? My light was red... not ready... probably broken... take back to the shop for servicing. That was my mode. The one good thing was that I was making the appointments; I just wasn't going to the appointments.

The end of 2010 was looming near, and so were the holidays, so I told everyone that asked, even the Office Depot guy (pay me now) not now. But certainly before the first quarter is out. Everyone agreed. "Yeah. You want to be able to eat what you want for the holiday." "Makes sense. Start again in the new year." It all made sense. And I had a chorus of folks who were agreeing with my decision. The only Greek Chorus members were my mom and Katrena (the actual heroines in this story.) And as usual -- always listen to the Greek chorus, they are most often right.

Let me stop here and talk about my mom. The other hero in my story, my lifelong hero. This is the woman who can hear in my voice that something is wrong. Sometimes annoying, but always true. The woman who has my back, come hell or high water, and high water has come, and she has had my back for real. Let me tell you my mom in her late '30s moved (pregnant with me mind you) to the US following my father with my brother and two sisters. And they started all over. They had a good life in Guyana - Dad was a senior fireman and my mom was in administration in education. Both were in prominent civil servant government positions in that country. (I will not digress into the Caribbean mantra here, about owning land in my country. I find it too funny to do that here.) And they elected to come to this country to start over. I am awed by their efforts and successes because within 10 years of their immigration, they had achieved "The American Dream," and bought their first home. Anyway long story short... my mom earned her Bachelor's degree in her late 40's and her Master's degree before she was 50. She's a superstar. And THAT superstar has my back. How awesome is that?

Fast forward to 2011... January came and went. February came and went. March came. WHAT???? IS IT MARCH ALREADY??? THE FIRST QUARTER IS ALMOST OVER! And to no one's surprise I was no closer to completing the tasks for qualifying for this surgery. DAYEM!! What am I going to do now. It's almost a year later. I don't even know if I will have to start all over again. There are a myriad of questions on the table for me. But wait... here's what's interesting. A special guest enters the story someone not yet heard from, but who has been here all along...

5 comments:

Sky McGann said...

I'm still with ya. Keep it coming.

talentsceo said...

Auh shucks, this is some good stuff girl...I've got popcorn and something to drink...waiting for the rest. It's amazing, and so unselfish of you to hsare this journey withus...I am in awe of you Ms. Abby.....love you too!

talentsceo said...

You've so captivated me that I've decided to give myself a blogger name...let me introduce you to Dazzling Dee...nice to meet chya!

BlabbyAbby said...

Thanks peeps! I think the story is ab interesting one, and I can only hope that it helps someone else, but most importantly it's important to me and my current experience.

Yuri said...

Dug this one Abby.